Monday, August 30, 2010

Bouquet of Newly Sharpened Pencils

Today is an historic day. For the first time in 18 years, I did not have a first day of school. No first day of school outfit. No wondering what cute boys would be in my classes. No ten pages syllabus that made me break into cold sweats imagining those nights staying up til 4 am before a research paper was due. No more meeting up with friends on campus for lunch. My career as a student has finally come to an end. All day I kept thinking that maybe I could just go up to BYU anyways? Maybe grab a wrap in the Cougareat? Wander around the library? Take a nap on the grass? I was able to restrain myself today by running errands for my working-mom and planning dinner (how did I go from 0 to housewife so fast?) but I can't promise I won't be having a premature college-reunion later this week.


I thought I would share some memorable first days of school from my past.

1) 7th Grade: Every girl knows that the first day of school was the chance to wear your my stylish new outfit and show off to your friends just how much cooler you had gotten over the summer. This hairstyle reflected what I believed to be the pinnacle of cool 90's style. Behold.

Luckily my mom and brother's combined ridicule made me question myself enough to take it out and thus avoid being made fun of the entire year for my hair (I'm sure there were still plenty of other non-hair related reasons to make fun of me).

2) Freshman Year of High School: My high school, Millburn High School was nationally recognized for the terrible hazing that goes on. I was able to experience this first hand. All freshman girls had to wear a red shirt the first day of school so that the senior girls knew who to target, I like to draw a comparison to Spanish bull fighting here. We were passed out a list of rules we were to follow for the year... one of these rules was "Don't use such and such bathroom, waterfountain, row of gym lockers". Let's just say I used an off-limits bathroom on the first day of school. Big mistake. Those senior girls were mean! The movie Dazed and Confused was their inspiration, this clip should give you an idea:


3) Junior Year of High School: I decided that I need to do a little eyebrow grooming before the first day of school. Rather than just use tweezers or go to a salon and get them waxed... I decided I would try and wax them myself. Big Mistake. Huge. Luckily I have no pictures to show you.

Hope the rest of you had a great first day of school or had fun reminiscing like I did! In the words of You've Got Mail...

"Don't you love the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies.
I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils."


2 comments:

Kristina said...

Too funny!! Wish I could see the picture of the waxed eyebrows.

Karim said...

A. WHYY would you post such an ugly picture of me! Wahhhhh.

B. I remember a lot of firsts with you. College, seminary, my first time crying over pork chops in cereal. Lovely times.